Call for papers
Methodological considerations are central to academic research. Methodology Matters is a new section of the European Management Review that seeks to provide a peer-reviewed outlet for contributions about the challenges of conducting management research.
The section will be edited by Bill Lee. Articles are welcome on all aspects of the practices and policies of research from reflections on philosophical underpinnings through discussions of the design of projects, the application of methods of data collection to the reporting and evaluation of findings, and the ways in which cultural and institutional settings shape and constrain research. Methodology Matters seeks to uphold the rich diversity of research traditions from across Europe and beyond and welcomes articles from any epistemological tradition, methodological predilection, disciplinary background and cultural setting. The content of articles submitted to this section could include but is not restricted to:
- Novel applications of any method of data collection or analysis;
- Critical reviews of a specific application of a method or approach particular to a stipulated intellectual, national or disciplinary context and reflections on the wider applicability of that method or approach;
- Reflections of applicability and usefulness of any ontological, epistemological or methodological approach;
- Insider, reflexive accounts on any of the challenges faced in the conduct of research, particularly those relating to international boundaries;
- Critical appraisals of the criteria used for evaluating research in different traditions;
- Interpretations of the mechanisms – such as journal lists, research quality audits, ethical regulatory boards – that are used to manage research at an institutional, national or international level;
- Sharing of good or promising practices in management research methodology and the pursuit of engaged scholarship;
- Commentaries upon the use of new technologies in the management research process;
- Challenges to established methodological practices, both qualitative and quantitative.
Authors of articles should locate their contribution in a relevant intellectual, disciplinary, cultural or national context and help readers gain a proper understanding of the challenges to applicability of the argument to other settings. Authors should make clear that the article is intended for publication in the Methodology Matters section and observe the general guidelines for submissions to the European Management Review. Articles considered suitable for Methodology Matters by the section editor will be subject to double-blind review.
For details of the submission process for European Management Review, please go to: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/%28ISSN%291740-4762/homepage/ForAuthors.html.
Contact details for the section editor should you wish to discuss a potential submission are:
Telephone: +44 (0)114-222-3473