Call for Papers
European Academy of Management (EURAM)
2016 Doctoral Colloquium
May 29-31, 2016
Université Paris-Est Créteil (UPEC), Paris, France
Are you a second or higher year doctoral student?
Would you like to become part of a highly motivated community of young researchers?
Do you want to engage with doctoral students from different parts of the world?
Do you want to meet the leading scholars in your field face-to-face?
Do you want to become the winner of the “EURAM 2016 Doctoral Colloquium Best Paper Award”?
Then we would like to invite you to the EURAM 2016 Doctoral Colloquium!
Enlarge your network and initiate dialogues with leading management scholars!
Experienced management scholars will share their knowledge in doing research and being a researcher. Learning from those scholars and asking them all the questions you’ve always wanted to ask is a great opportunity to become part of the management research community. Don’t miss this great opportunity to learn about the tacit knowledge underlying a PhD process and to get useful insights on how to complete a PhD in a successful way.
Cooperate with each other!
The largest part of the colloquium is dedicated to the discussion of your papers in small groups – each supervised by an experienced senior researcher, many of them global thought leaders in their field. The aim is not that you shall give a “traditional” paper presentation, but to briefly outline your research and from that engage in intensive interactive sessions aiming at giving you advice and feedback for the particular questions you have. We will circulate the papers of each group member in advance to make sure that each one can read the papers of the others before meeting.
Identify your way of joining the EURAM community of researchers!
You will get useful hints on how to become part of the EURAM Community of researchers. We will invite you to become part of our growing community and tell you more about, for instance, the European Early Career Community (EECC) and the EURAM Strategic Interest Groups (SIGs). The SIGs are the “heart and soul” of EURAM and SIG representatives will join in – not only with their scientific expertise – but also with information on the scientific development of EURAM that may be of great value for conference newcomers.
Express your talent and win the EURAM Paper Award for doctoral students!
Our scientific committee will select the winners of the EURAM 2016 Doctoral Colloquium Best Paper Award among all accepted submissions (1st price is 1000 Euro; 2nd price is 500 Euro; 3rd price is 300 Euro). This is an excellent opportunity to advance in your academic career!
How to Apply?
Deadline for submission: January 27, 2016, 2:00pm, Belgian Time
Notification of acceptance: March 17, 2016
Deadline for registration: April 12, 2016
|Participation in the Doctoral Colloquium only:||200 euro *|
|Reduced participation fee for the Doctoral Colloquium & Full Conference
(only open to those accepted to the Doctoral Colloquium):
|430 euro *|
|Reduced participation fee for the Doctoral Colloquium & Full Conference
& Gala Dinner (only open to those accepted to the Doctoral Colloquium):
|505 euro *|
* These fees only apply to PhD students admitted to the doctoral colloquium. To be eligible for these rates, PhD students are required to produce documentary evidence of their status, which they will need to upload during the registration process. The Doctoral Colloquium Fees include the 80 € EURAM (PhD Students) membership fee for 2017.
IMPORTANT: For all three categories of fees, all payments must be registered at latest April 12 2016, in order for your notification of acceptance to the Doctoral Colloquium to still stand as valid.
- Submit your application at latest January 27, 2016, 2:00pm, Belgian Time.
- Note that the IT platform for submissions is open from December 1, 2015 to January 27, 2016, 2:00pm, Belgian Time.
- In order to submit a formally valid application you must submit the following four documents in pdf-format:
- Your CV.
- A letter of motivation written on the stationery paper officially used by your university. You must end your letter of motivation with the following statement: "In the case of acceptance for the EURAM 2016 Doctoral Colloquium, I have the funding and will definitely participate in the Doctoral Colloquium” (note that this is a legally binding statement) (Max 2 pages).
- A letter of recommendation written on the stationery paper officially used by your university and signed by your main supervisor (including all contact info to you main supervisor) (Max 2 pages).
- A single authored text (= written by yourself only) on maximum 20 pages named EURAM_DC_2016_LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_TEXT-TYPE_4x. Dependent on the type of dissertation you are doing and on how far gone your are, you shall provide one of these three text-types:
- A research proposal regardless of what kind of dissertation you are doing (mainly if you are not that far gone in your PhD process yet).
- A summary of your monograph dissertation.
- A summary of each and every paper done/planned in your compilation dissertation + a summary of your compilation dissertation as a whole.
Regardless if you choose text-type 4a, 4b or 4c, your text must be written by yourself only and cannot in any version or variant also be submitted to EURAM 2016 Main Conference.
Regardless if you choose text-type 4a, 4b or 4c, your text must include the following elements and sections:
- What text-type you are submitting (either 4a, 4b or 4c, see above)
- Particular questions you are struggling with as of now, that you want a special focus upon at the Doctoral Colloquium.
- Short abstract (max. 300 words)
- Up to 3 keywords
- The following outline/headlines of your main text:
- Relevance of your dissertation; theoretically, empirically, practically
- Theoretical framework
- Methodological approach/es and method/s used
- Empirical findings (if you write a research proposal, please present expected/intended empirical findings)
- Discussion and conclusions (not applicable for text-type 4a)
- Implications for future research and for practitioners
- Choose one topic area from the list below that best matches the positioning of your PhD dissertation (these topic areas are identical with the SIGs of EURAM, except for the last one ‘General Management’, which is no SIG in EURAM):
- Business for Society
- Corporate Governance
- Family Business Research
- Gender, Race and Diversity in Organisations
- International Management
- Managing Sports
- Organizational Behaviour
- Project Organising
- Public and Non-Profit Management
- Research Methods and Research Practice
- Strategic Management
- General Management (if you work in a discipline that is not covered by any of the EURAM SIGs above)
This choice of topic area/SIG is important for several reasons, but above all, for us being able to allocate you to the most relevant experts from each topic area/SIG respectively.
Please consult http://www.euram-online.org/annual-conference-2016/doctoral-colloquium.html for specific information about EURAM 2016 Doctoral Colloquium and http://www.euram-online.org/annual-conference-2016.html for regularly updated general information about hotels, transport, climate and other practical matters.
Also, follow us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/euram.eecc).
Who to Contact?
Chairs of the EURAM Doctoral Colloquium
Co-organizer and Contact Person for the EURAM Doctoral Colloquium
If you have any questions about uploading your documents, submissions guidelines, or other operational matters related to the EURAM Doctoral Colloquium, please contact:
“Congratulations to the team, I really enjoyed my time, and this is very helpful in the development of my PhD dissertation.”
“Great environment providing encouragement and creative constructive feedback.”
“The DC was again very well organized and extremely valuable for me to develop my work further. I got helpful input and advice in the mentoring sessions and we had interesting discussions in our small group. I really appreciate this format! Also, I met many new and interesting people and appreciated our conversations as well as the DC's motivating atmosphere! Thank you!!”
These are some testimonials from the evaluation survey after EURAM Doctoral Colloquium in Warsaw, Poland, 2015. Please contact Luisa Jaffé for access to several years of evaluation surveys and/or if you want to contact any of our many hundreds of participants from previous years.
We now hope that everything is clear. So, sharpen your synapses and fuel up your computer battery, as we’re looking much forward to your application and to meeting you in Paris!
With best wishes,
EURAM 2016 Doctoral Colloquium Team
As the largest multidisciplinary university in Ile-de-France, the Université Paris-Est Créteil may be described as a bold yet successful enterprise: in little more than 40 years since its foundation in 1970, UPEC has managed to establish itself both as a regionally grounded institution and an internationally oriented university.
Only 20 minutes from the heart of Paris, UPEC stands out with its 120,000 square meter campus, its comprehensive programmes and state-of-the-art research. The university houses 31 research centers, and 15 components, for a student population of 30,000. The Business School, the Faculty of Economics, the Institute for Languages and the Law School, will welcome EURAM 2016, our sessions and plenary conferences.
Courses and trainings are specially tailored to meet international standards and cover an extensive range of disciplines, from technical degrees to doctorates (Ph.D). Besides, UPEC has signed more than 250 international agreements with universities and laboratories, and enjoys governmental as well as European support.
Due to its internationally focused policy, UPEC boasts a rich social diversity and welcomes 3,000 foreign students each year. UPEC's study offer also includes programmes entirely taught in English, as the University welcomes numerous teachers and researchers from abroad.
UPEC (its Management Research Centre, IRG and its Business School, IAE Gustave Eiffel) is partnering with the following prestigious French Business Schools to organise the EURAM 2016 Conference and the EURAM 2016 Doctoral Colloquium: Universités Paris-Dauphine, ESCP Europe, HEC Paris, ISTEC Paris, Paris 13/Sorbonne Paris Cité and Paris-Est Marne la Vallée (UPEM).